An excellent introduction to an area of the country with a rich and well-preserved transport history. This will take you behind the scenes of the better preserved railways with opportunities to chat to those responsible for running the lines.
Prices for Main Tour and Extension to Tasmania
Prices are all based on a ‘ground only’ basis from Cairns to Melbourne.
Main tour price £3,595 (based on two people sharing)
Single supplement £565
Extension to Tasmania £1,145 (based on two people sharing)
Single supplement £255
- Cairns in the tropical north, with a visit to the Inner Barrier Reef
- Brisbane is the capital of sunny Queensland with a railway museum and nearby Gold Coast trams
- Sydney – plenty to see and do. Bondi beach, Opera House, Suburban and light rail as well as sightseeing
- The famous Zigzag Railway is scheduled to be back in operation in time for our visit
- Melbourne – The famous Puffing Billy! One of the finest preserved steam railways in the world.
- Tasmania – Pearns Steam World. History in steam, from giant traction engines to miniature steam trains. There is also a steam driven boat!
- Don River Railway – One of Australia’s finest heritage passenger carrying railways running alongside the picturesque Don river near Devonport in northern Tasmania
- West Coast Wilderness Railway – Queenstown to Strahan through the dense rain forest on Tasmania’s wild west coast